Installing Microsoft Windows is fairly easy, even if you are a novice user. However, this does not mean that there are no things that can go wrong.
In Windows 10, one of the most common installation hurdles is the error “We could not create a new partition”. There are multiple reasons why this error appears; However, you can easily fix it using the following methods.
1. Disconnect all other external and internal storage devices
One of the most common causes of partition errors is interference from other connected peripherals. Thus, the first step that you must take when diagnosing the error is to remove all external and internal storage devices except for the primary hard disk drive (HDD) and USB that you use to install Windows.
This includes external hard drives, solid state drives (SSDs), USB drives, and SD cards. To err on the side of caution, also remove any external USB Wi-Fi and Bluetooth adapters.
If removing internal hard drives is too much of a hassle, you can disable them using BIOS. While the steps differ across different motherboard manufacturers, the process should be similar to the following:
- Press F2 or DEL as soon as you see the manufacturer’s logo when you turn on your computer. Exact switches vary by manufacturers.
- Once in the BIOS, find a list that lists all the devices connected to your computer.
- Disable all storage devices except for the one on which you are going to install Windows.
- Restart your computer.
How to use third-party software to create a bootable Windows device
Sometimes, the error “We could not create a new partition” error can be caused by an incorrectly created Windows Bootable device. This is usually the Windows Media Creation Tool error. To eliminate this possibility, create a bootable device using third-party software. There are plenty of software to create a Windows bootable USB from an ISO file.
As an example, we’ll use Rufus, an open source bootable USB creation program:
- Loading Rufus.
- Download the Windows Media Creation Tool. If you have already downloaded it, just launch it. You will need it to download the Windows ISO file.
- Accept the license agreements in the Media Creation Tool.
- In the next window, click Create installation media. click next one.
- Select the appropriate version and edition of Windows on the next page. click next one.
- Now, select a file ISO file Selection. Click next one.
- Choose where to download the ISO file.
- After the ISO file has finished downloading, launch Rufus.
- under Device, Locate Related USB drive from the dropdown menu.
- under Boot selection, Choose disc or ISO file Selection.
- click Choose, then browse to the Windows ISO file you just downloaded.
- Click Begins.
- Rufus will create a bootable USB drive for you.
How to set the hard disk as the first boot device
Usually, when you install Windows, the USB or CD will be the first boot device. But there are instances when doing so can confuse Windows between a USB drive or a CD to your hard drive, causing the “we could not create a new partition” error to appear.
Fortunately, this can be easily resolved by selecting the hard drive as the first boot device:
- Disconnect the USB or Windows CD from your computer.
- Enter your motherboard’s BIOS using step 1 from the section above.
- Now, find the boot menu in BIOS. You can refer to your motherboard manual to find it easily.
- Under the list that lists the boot devices, make sure that the hard drive is on top, i.e. it is the first boot device.
- After doing that, plug in the Windows USB or CD, and restart your computer.
- Once your computer restarts, press F8, F10, F11, or F12 Enter the boot menu. Depending on the motherboard, it could be any of the switches listed above. Refer to the manual.
- Select USB or CD as the boot device from this list.
- Continue installing Windows.
Use Diskpart to create a new partition
The diskpart utility can be used to create a new partition during the installation of Windows. It is launched using the Command Prompt during the Windows installation process.
Remember to back up your data before attempting the following steps, as they will completely erase your hard drive.
Here’s how to use Diskpart to create a new partition:
- As soon as the error “we could not create a new partition” appears, close the setup wizard. Then click on Repair option.
- Now, go to advanced tools Then click Command Prompt.
- In the Command Prompt console, type start diskpart, and press Enter.
- Next, type menu disc and press Enter. This will display a list of hard disk drives (HDDs) connected to your computer.
- Find the appropriate number next to the hard disk you want to partition. Type select disk x (Here, replace x with your hard disk number).
- Now, you will have to type a series of commands which will be listed below. Remember to press Enter after typing each command.
- Create a primary partition
- fs format = fast ntfs
- After the process is complete, close the Command Prompt. You can write Exit in the console to do this.
- Rerun the Windows installation process.
How to convert a Windows partition to GPT format
GPT partitions have fewer restrictions compared to the default MBR format. Thus, it is useful to convert the partition to GPT format and then install Windows. Here too, you will have to make use of the Diskpart utility. The only caveat is that converting the partition format from MBR to GPT will delete all your files, so be sure to back up all important data before proceeding.
Here’s how to convert your Windows partition to GPT format:
- Follow steps 1 and 2 from the section above to open a command prompt.
- write in start diskpart In the Command Prompt console, press Enter.
- Next, type menu disc and press Enter.
- Now, enter select disk x, where x Corresponds to the number next to the hard disk drive listing.
- You will have to completely wipe the hard drive before proceeding. To do this, type Cleaning and press Enter.
- Finally, write gpt تحويل converter and press Enter.
- Wait for the process to complete, then try to reinstall Windows.
The partitioning error is now resolved
Using the above methods, you can easily fix the error “we could not create a new partition” and install Windows smoothly. However, you may encounter other common Windows installation errors as well. So it’s best to be aware of the steps you can take to resolve it as well.
Are you getting errors when trying to install Windows? Here are some common and help fixes for certain errors.
read the following
About the author