A decade ago, gaming was all about playing games in whatever settings your device could support. But the scene has now changed. Games are becoming visually appealing and require more computing resources than ever before. This makes you wonder how to check the statistics of the system resource used while playing games.
It is possible to track various stats for components like CPU, GPU, RAM and more using MSI Afterburner. But it doesn’t work right out of the box. We will explain in detail MSI Afterburner and how you can configure it to display system stats while playing.
What is MSI Afterburner?
MSI Afterburner is a GPU overclocking utility developed and distributed by MSI. You can use it to modify the performance of the graphics card in your system. Moreover, this tool works with graphics cards of all brands including MSI-made GPUs.
MSI Afterburner is free to use and has improved a lot since its release in 2010. You can let MSI Afterburner find and apply the best GPU overclocking settings. Or you can control the vowels and adjust everything yourself. In general, there is pretty much everything related to GPU performance with this tool. Check out our detailed guide to using MSI Afterburner to learn more about overclocking your GPU.
Can you use MSI Afterburner to monitor important stats?
yes. You can use MSI Afterburner to display and monitor hardware stats on your screen. Most users think that MSI Afterburner is only an overclocking tool. But the app uses RivaTuner Statistics Server (RTSS) which allows it to display hardware statistics and frame rates on the screen.
MSI Afterburner relies on RivaTuner Statistics Server to display statistics of the hardware resources in use. You cannot see any statistics on the screen if you have not installed the RivaTuner Statistics Server. The primary purpose of RivaTuner Statistics Server is to bring OSD capabilities to MSI Afterburner. If you only install RTSS, you will only be able to see the FPS counter and nothing more. Therefore, installing both MSI Afterburner and RTSS is critical.
How to install MSI Afterburner
Here’s how to install MSI Afterburner and RivaTuner Statistics Server in one go.
- go to the MSI Afterburner official landing page.
- Scroll down and tap Download Afterburner button. The ZIP file will start downloading in your browser.
- Right click in the setup file and select the option to run as administrator. UAC will appear. Click on yes button to continue.
- keep language Einglish and click yes button. Then click the Next button and Acceptance End User License Agreement.
- Setup will ask you to choose components. The RivaTuner Statistics Server check box will be selected automatically. Do not deselect it, otherwise you have to install it separately.
- Then follow the on-screen instructions until you see a file Installations button. click it to start the installation.
- The RivaTuner Statistics Server installer will appear while the installation is in progress. Follow the on-screen instructions to install it and click on File ending button to close the setting.
- Then, click ending A button to close the MSI Afterburner setting as well. MSI Afterburner will automatically launch on your system.
How to set up MSI Afterburner to display stats on Windows 11
After you have successfully installed MSI Afterburner, you need to configure its settings. You must select the components whose stats you want to view while the game is running.
Here’s how to set up MSI Afterburner to display stats on Windows 11:
- MSI Afterburner will launch once setup windows are closed. Now, click Come on in the application window to display the advanced properties window.
- under general tab, click Drop list Select the GPU you want to monitor. Most laptops are integrated as well as discrete GPUs built into them. Therefore, you need to choose the one you want to monitor. Here we chose the Nvidia discrete GPU.
- Now, switch to the Monitoring tab by clicking on it. Go to Active graphs for hardware monitoring Section. You will find all the graphs that you can view while the game is running.
- To display a parameter in OSD, click On the Tick mark in front of him to select it. You won’t be able to see the graph unless you enable it with the tick icon next to it.
- Now, scroll down to File Graph properties section and click on On-screen display check box.
- Likewise, you must enable all the graphs you want MSI Afterburner to display while the game is running.
- Click on Progressing button to apply recent changes and then click yes button. Do not exit the application, otherwise you will not see any stats on the screen.
- Run a game on your system. You will notice that system stats appear at the top left of the screen in the game window. If you switch to another window, you will not see it.
If you want to hide system stats and keep playing the game, tap Insertion A key to switch the display on the screen. You can even visit the settings tab and change the hotkey to toggle the on-screen display.
How to adjust the display on the screen for a better view
By default, the stats displayed on the screen look very small and hard to see. But you can change the size of the system stats text that appears on the screen. You can even reposition the screen on the screen in any area of the screen you want.
Here’s how to adjust the on-screen display for a better view.
- Run MSI Afterburner. Now, head over to the system tray icon area and click Arrow button.
- Click on RivaTuner Statistics Server Icon to run the application.
- Now, locate Zoom on the screen option in the application window. pull The slider on the right to increase the display size on the screen. You can check its size by checking its appearance in the preview area at the bottom.
- Don’t increase the volume too much, otherwise it will block your visibility while playing games.
- Now, go to the preview area and click And the Catch It appears on the screen with the number 60. pull To change the display position on the screen.
- To change the color of the text displayed on the screen, tap On-screen display Selection. Choose color from the panel and click on yes button to apply it.
- Now, run a game on your system. You’ll notice that the on-screen text is now larger and with a new color scheme. Press the “Insert” key to show or hide the on-screen display.
View your system stats easily with MSI Afterburner
MSI Afterburner is a free-to-use tool that helps you easily display hardware stats on your screen while gaming. You can check the system resources used as well as the number of FPS you are getting with your current computer. Moreover, you can adjust the size and other characteristics of the screen on the screen for better visibility.