You may want to get a souvenir to remember an event, conference, symposium, or some other gathering you attended that was particularly memorable. This could be a name badge from a conference you attended with other employees or a ticket stub from a movie you saw in theaters.
Well, something new is filling the void: Proof of Attendance Protocol.
Proof of Attendance Protocol is a non-fungible token (NFT) that proves that you attended in person or a virtual event. These digital stickers or badges are sent to your wallet as a reward for attending these events.
How do POAPs work?
Event planners and attendees can use the POAP site to organize or join events. Although the organization of events is free, planners can charge an admission fee if they wish. You can use your location data or scan a QR code to check in when you arrive at the event. This creates a timestamped attendance record that is securely recorded in a smart contract on the Ethereum blockchain.
There are two primary groups of participants in play when it comes to POAP events.
1. Event planners
Event planners organize events, fundraisers, and conferences with POAPs. They can apply POAPs to secure digital signatures or validate academic credentials. Meanwhile, POAP NFTs can serve as entry tickets and prizes for event activities.
Event organizers can earn from their activities by charging fees using POAP. They may advertise their events on social media and event management platforms to expand their audience.
2. Event attendance
A digital badge is awarded to every attendee at any venue or event that presents POAP NFT as a keepsake. Attendees only need to scan the QR code on the badge with their device or the device provided by the event to view the registered information. POAPs from attendees are updated either remotely through location discovery or directly on-site by scanning a QR code.
Brands and companies that have used the Proof of Attendance protocol
Many major brands and companies have used the Proof of Attendance protocol to plan events and engage community members. Here are some of the brands that have hired POAPs.
Celebrity beauty brand Estée Lauder unveiled its unique wearable NFT, Advanced Night Repair, at Metaverse Fashion Week March 23-27, 2022.
They distributed 10,000 Free Advanced Night Repair NFTs for this event. This allowed users to claim their NFT wearable to give their avatar a unique luminous aura and earn a Proof of Attendance Protocol (POAP) badge by physically entering the Advanced Night Repair “Little Brown Bottle”.
In November 2021, Adidas launched CONFIRMED, an app for drips and exclusive content for POAP (Proof of Attendance Protocol).
The adidas POAP program is a way to get to know its most dedicated supporters – users of the CONFIRMED app – rather than memorializing any particular event.
Lottie London organized their first Metaverse concert in Decentraland to celebrate the prom season and interact with their Generation Z audience. The event started on May 25, 2022.
Prom attendees can fully immerse themselves in the action thanks to a proof of attendance protocol that has directed users to the Lottie London Walmart shopping site. Unfortunately, it was only available to the first 2,000 people.
How to set up a proof of attendance protocol for an event
Before creating a proof of attendance protocol for attendance, you will need a photo to place it on. The graphic file must be in PNG or GIF format, and no larger than 200KB. It is recommended to keep the image scale to 500 x 500 pixels, in a circular motion.
Here are the step-by-step instructions for creating a POAP for your event.
- visit POAP and click Create your first POAP. If you have any questions, consult POAP Guide.
- On the next page, there will be a form. Fill out the form with the necessary information.
- Enter the event you’re celebrating, and what you want people to remember about the POAP drop, the POAP core, and the location of the POAP event.
- tick virtual drop checkbox if the event is by default, and fill in the city and country fields if you wish.
- Next, enter POAP drop Start, end and end dates. Note that you cannot enter an expiration date if you do not select drop for several days can.
- Enter your website link if you have one A website you would like to attend To visit to claim their POAPs. Leave the template field as a file Standard Model.
- next one, Choose the file Contains the artwork or image of your POAP. Remember that every POAP must contain a PNG or GIF image.
- copy the Edit code. This code is important if you want to modify POAP.
- Enter E-mail address And the How many mint links do you needand click Memorizes.
- A pop-up will appear to confirm that you have successfully submitted your POAP drop to the Regulatory Authority for review and approval.
- You can fill in a file Review the organization of supplementary information If you want to speed up the Regulatory Authority review process.
- After a successful review, you will receive a confirmation mail. The POAP for your event is now officially created.
How to claim POAP as attendance
Participating in a POAP sponsored event or trial will give you a link or QR code to claim your POAP NFT using your Ethereum wallet address. Alternatively, you can enter your email address and claim the POAP NFT later.
It is important to remember that POAPs are not limited to real-world events; You can also access it by default. Consider QR codes if you are attending a recognized POAP event. You can check out POAPs listed publicly at POAP event page If you are interested in upcoming events sponsored by POAP.
Should you use the proof of attendance protocol at your next event?
The proof of attendance protocol is currently still in its early stages, and its application is not well known to most people. As more event planners experiment with POAP, its popularity will likely grow beyond stocking live experiences and checking attendance.
POAPs provide event planners with an easy way to distribute digital souvenirs at important events. Furthermore, POAP NFTs assist individuals and groups in scoring outstanding achievements.