The No. 3 Gonzaga Bulldogs defeated the No. 2 UCLA Bruins 79-76 in a thrilling Sweet 16 contest Thursday night, advancing to the Elite Eight for the sixth time in program history. Here’s what you need to know:
- Gonzaga dropped 13 points in the first half. The Bulldogs rallied, taking a 10-point lead to go up 72-62 with 2:30 remaining.
- After going over 11 minutes without scoring, UCLA took a 14-3 lead. With 13 seconds left, Bruins guard Amari Bailey made a 3-pointer, putting UCLA up 76-75.
- With seven seconds left, Gonzaga’s Julian Strother burned a three-pointer to give the Zags a 78-76 lead. On the ensuing possession, Gonzaga’s Malachy Smith stole the ball from UCLA’s Tiger Campbell.
- UCLA fouled with a second left, sending Strother to the free throw line. Strother made one of two free throws, putting Gonzaga up 79-76. Campbell missed the 3-pointer to tie the game, resulting in a Bulldogs victory.
This story will be updated.
Highlight of the game
Julien is beyond the logo ‼ ️
Gonzaga returns in the final seconds against UCLA to advance to the Elite Eight.
🎥 @employee | # March Depression pic.twitter.com/rorTaSNTtd
– The Athletic March 24, 2023
(Photo: Joe Camporeale/USA Today)
(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)